Which 100 To Run?
i’m having trouble deciding on the 100 miler i want to run this year in june/july. sort of my “a” race for mid summer. i honestly thought i’d get into either western states 100 or the hardrock 100. now that i didn’t get in i am looking around and i think i’d pick between these two races.. please comment on which one you think i should run – i need some help.
my criteria are:
- tough course – at least 18,000ft of gain
- competition – there has to be some other good runners
- beautiful and interesting course – not too much looping or repeating
- it’s got to be between june 1 – july 21st – i need at least two weeks to be able to join karl on his appalachian trail assault.
- it has to still have spots available to sign up!! geeze.
June 20 – Big Horn Wild and Scenic 100 miler – Dayton, WY
big horn is awesome. i ran the 50km last year and loved it.
pros: i’ve been on the course. the race is well done. it’s mountainous and bad ass. jeff browning, jamie gifford and ty draney will be there. jeff has won a couple times and before last year had the course record. also running this will be redemption for having to drop down to the “j.v. race” last year.
cons: i’ve been to this race, seen part of this course and know how well done it all is.
July 19 – Tahoe Rim Trail 100 – Tahoe, CA USATF National Champioship
pros: it’s a new course (for me). i’ve run some of this during an adventure run years ago. as the usatf 100 mile national championship there will be great competition there for sure. tahoe is awesome.
cons: it’s a runners course. fast guys with real turnover will smoke me.
let me know.. comment on what you think or suggest another race!