Rapid Fire Answers to Some Race Day Nutrition Questions
i was recently asked the following questions for an article and figured i’d publish. my answers are short on purpose but might be helpful to some.
1. What foods are you eating during an ultramarathon (early vs late in the race)? How often do you eat (every hour, every 30 minutes?)
i try to get 200-300 calories per hour unless the wheels come off and there are certainly times where i’ll eat more than that as tolerable. but i shoot for 250 or so. any more than that and i can’t keep the pace i want as blood flow is in the stomach and not the legs. gels are the base and i eat every 20-30 minutes. after a few hours i’ll have perpetuem mixed into a paste in a gel flask (bit of protein). i have my crew keep me away fro the junk food at the aid stations, like literally dont’ let me in there. bananas and roch horton’s turkey sliders have worked well for me – avocado wrapped in turkey. small bit size nuggets.
2. About how much sodium are you taking per hour (mg’s), knowing that it depends on the weather, hot versus normal weather… Do you use S-Caps?
i don’t use S caps. i use nuun (they are a sponsor too) and endurolytes. because nuun is flavored i’ll end up drinking more than just water with pills. i keep the endurolytes as just in case backups. 360 mg of sodium per hour about – but it totally depends and i’m not a big sweater, or a salty (stained) sweater either.
3. About how many ounces of fluid are you consuming per hour? Hot versus Normal weather. Do you use an electrolyte drink or water or both?
i’ll consume 16 oz when it’s cold and as much as 30 when it’s blazing hot. so the mid range is about 18-20oz per hour average.
4. Any tricks you have found to works when you start to get nauseous?
i’ve been blessed with an iron stomach (more curses then i care to mention). on the ocassion i need some settling down those little ginger chews are magic.
5. About how many calories do you consume per hour?